June 25th, 5:00pm – On my commute home from work I thought about ways to improve my writing skills. Writing editors help some, so does reading a variety of authors to get a sense of style. Maybe attend a weekly meet up with other writers for encouragement. I haven’t done that in a while.

June 25th, 6:30pm – I smile to myself as I realized I’m avoiding the most obvious thing to do to improve my fiction. Just keep writing…

3- Better Writer

1. The Happy Book Blog.
    July 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm

I can’t wait till i’m up for writing again, just not in the right frame of mind at the minute🙄

2. June 26, 2019 at 5:26 pm

A bit like the expression “practice makes perfect”, though replace the word “perfect” with “better” because perfection doesn’t really exist! Keep using those creative, intelligent brain muscles of yours, Darnell. x

3. June 26, 2019 at 5:12 pm

The only way to improve is to bleed your pen

4. June 26, 2019 at 12:08 pm

I read what I write aloud just before I hit “post,” and then never re-visit it. (That could be because I hate to read.) LOL

5. June 26, 2019 at 9:54 am

All of the ideas you had sound great, but I also smiled when you said that last one. (: I think that all of those others things can certainly help, but just continuing to write in your own style is truly the best way!

• June 26, 2019 at 9:56 am

I’m starting to feel that way also. Thank you for the feedback 🙂

• June 26, 2019 at 10:08 am

Of course! I love these diaries that you do. Keeps us updated on your processes and your thoughts around your writing. It’s fun to see inside the mind that creates such great stories

• June 26, 2019 at 10:11 am

I’m amazed how well it’s been received. The main thing is I enjoy writing them.

6. June 26, 2019 at 9:40 am

Engage in Method Acting. It helps with channeling emotion into writing. This can be done by taking a dramatics course at a college or university, or by joining a community little theatre group, but if there are time or other constraints to those options, read aloud. A lot. To anybody (including pets), or to nobody but yourself. Plays are an obvious choice, but regular fiction also works just fine, and even well-written nonfiction will serve, especially if it is about a subject that moves you to any emotion. Finally, always read your own writing aloud.

• June 26, 2019 at 9:43 am

Wonderful ideas! If nothing else, read your own aloud. That’s a MUST! Thank you so much 🤗

7. June 26, 2019 at 8:59 am

I’m glad you had that realization.
    During last year’s NaNoWriMo (my first), I went to a group write-in to “connect”, but realized that it wasn’t for me. I know people who like those settings.
    While reading definitely helps jog your creative side, nothing else but writing really works.

8. June 26, 2019 at 1:24 am

Keeping on grinding seems to be the number rule for writers,isn’t it?

• June 26, 2019 at 2:26 am

Use it or you lose it. 😊

• July 2, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Use it or lose it, indeed!

You had said a while back that I should let you know when I post something that I think will be of particular interest to you. With my most recent post, I have temporarily departed from my comfortable nonfiction stance and have tipped a toe into the “flash fiction” waters. I would greatly welcome your insights.

• July 2, 2019 at 6:02 pm