February 25th, 5:00pm – Not sure what’s the best style for my fiction. Writing in the first or third person. Actually, there is no reason I can’t use both in the same story. When it comes to writing, there is no rule.

No rule writing

Continue Writing, No Matter What

1. March 7, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Agree with the quote whole heartedly

2. February 28, 2020 at 12:15 pm

I used to wonder this. I notice it a lot when reading other novels. Third typically seems to gel better for a lot I’ve read in the crime thriller genre, but first person takes skill to get right. Some have been awful (comes across too cheesy, unrealistic). But get it realistic and first person can be amazing. Mixing the two? Awesome! And you’re so right, you write your own rules! x

• February 28, 2020 at 12:20 pm

It took awhile but I’ve learned there’s no wrong way in writing! Have a great weekend Caz! 🤗

3. Meg
    February 26, 2020 at 12:33 pm

No reason at all not to switch between first and third person. I do think it works best if you keep the perspective consistent within a scene though. For the sake of clarity! 😀

4. February 26, 2020 at 10:30 am

Oh, I hear ya. That’s also something I am struggling with right now. Another issue that I have is writing in the present vs in the past… Does it really make a big difference if I mix all of that?

• February 26, 2020 at 11:34 am

I don’t think so. As long as your descriptions are good, it shouldn’t make a difference. If you write about the 1980s but the tone is 2005, you would lose the reader. I remember your description of a rotary phone in a story. It was on point and kept me reading.

5. February 26, 2020 at 8:17 am

Noticing I’ve switched tenses mid story, that’s what gets me!

6. February 26, 2020 at 1:51 am

It’s fun to play around with POV and tenses too. That quote from the great Hemingway seems very apt to me today (especially the second part).

• February 26, 2020 at 2:00 am

Ideas can become volatile, exploding into creation. Hemingway was right. 🤗

• February 26, 2020 at 2:56 am

‘exploding into creation’ – what a wonderful phrase!

7. February 26, 2020 at 12:37 am

I enjoy including the cheetah in my various posts of all kinds. There is no “right or wrong” in writing….you just have to do it!!