First Rejection Letter From Publisher

October 27th, A New Day – It’s a rite of passage. Every writer gets them.  I proudly display mine.  January 2020, I got my first one. The rejected story I wrote, “A Brave Night Out” will be posted on Halloween this Saturday.

My First Rejection Letter, Printed And Placed On A Wall

Dear Darnell,

Many thanks for sending your work to (UK magazine). I enjoyed the descriptions in this story – they painted a vivid picture and made for a very visual narrative.

Ultimately I didn’t think it would be quite right for (UK magazine), and so won’t be able to offer publication. Although I enjoyed reading I think I wanted something more from the story. I found myself wondering what had changed for the narrator over the course of this night, and how it might affect their life overall.

Sorry to disappoint you this time around. I hope you’ll continue to read and follow the magazine through future issues!

Best Wishes,
(UK publisher)

***Your Writing Matters ***                  *** Always Be Proud Of your work***

Spiderman CosPlay Will Have A Brave Night Out Saturday

One thought on “First Rejection Letter From Publisher

1. inkbiotic
    October 30, 2020 at 2:57 pm

It’s an important step (or more of a stumble maybe) but a good one to get over and done with 😉 I remember Stephen King saying when he first started sending stuff to publishers he knew he was on the right track when a rejection letter had encouraging words in it.

• October 30, 2020 at 3:01 pm

It seems my rejection letter is better than others from the comments. I’m like you, get it…and forget it.

2. October 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm

This is one of the best rejection letters I have seen,
    The last one I got was one of those soul crushing ones with zero positivity and I deleted it soon after reading and in a move I now regret I deleted what I had written
    ~B

• October 29, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Sorry you deleted what you wrote. They could have been wrong, or you could have improved the work. I’ve learned to forget…but save.

3. October 29, 2020 at 7:58 am

Sorry you didn’t get published, it usually takes authors dozens if not hundreds of rejections before they make it and that includes the ones who get really successful. I wish my attitude was as good as yours, I tell myself not to get bummed out but I still do. It’s cool that the person at the publishing house gave you feedback though, I think they usually just give you a generic notification. Keep up the good work! 🙂

4. October 28, 2020 at 7:51 am

I’m sorry dude, but I absolutely agree with rejection as a rite of passage. I always find it humbling and encouraging when I read of some of the biggest writers ever being rejected countless times, and all it took was one person to take a chance on them. It’s interesting to see this so thank you for sharing. I’m glad it’s not a cut-and-paste job as they’ve actually said something directly about your piece. I love your attitude – roll with it, don’t take it personally, use it to fan the fire that burns inside you to keep writing and always be proud of what you’ve written xx

• October 28, 2020 at 8:52 am

Thanks Caz. From the comments most agree the publisher actually read the piece and gave constructive feedback.☺️ Would I submit another story to them? Absolutely!

5. October 27, 2020 at 4:05 pm

That is an amazing “rejection” letter…..the editor treated you kindly and as a peer. I liked how he encouraged you as well. A hell of a lot of editors could learn a lot from this guy!!

6. October 27, 2020 at 2:57 pm

I wish all rejection letters would read like yours – it conveys constructive criticism. Thank you for encouraging us today. Writing takes a lot of dedication and mental energy. We deserve a pat on the back once in a while.

7. October 27, 2020 at 1:24 pm

None. I just removed the name of the company. Looking forward to your feedback.

8. October 27, 2020 at 1:22 pm

It’s somewhat constructive, so, that’s good.
    I look forward to reading the story. Did you make any edits after the letter?

9. October 27, 2020 at 12:56 pm

I have a binder full of rejection letters.They don’t stop me though.

10. October 27, 2020 at 9:14 am

I’m sorry Darnell, you must be disappointed. 😕 Although for a rejection letter it was unbelievably polite and encouraging. Please keep trying beccause we all love your work. ☺️

• October 27, 2020 at 9:26 am

Thanks Christine. I will continue. My goal was to encourage others that receive these letters as well 🤗

11. October 27, 2020 at 5:33 am

A biography of novelist Steven King on tv. it seems he got thousands of rejections, then after writing “Carrie” he was going to throw it away when his wife stopped him because she liked it.and it became his first published novel. wishing you perseverance and good fortune.

12. October 27, 2020 at 4:31 am

I agree with what the others have said! Even though it’s a rejection, their comments are quite positive which is a good sign. As the saying goes, just keep on writing 😄

13. October 27, 2020 at 2:14 am

It may be a rejection letter, but it’s quite an encouraging one, nevertheless! Looking forward to reading the story, Darnell 🙂

• October 27, 2020 at 4:00 am

Thanks Chris. I’m looking forward to putting out more content.

14. October 27, 2020 at 1:23 am

That is a lot kinder and extensive than my doom-brain had imagined rejection letters to be. You’re awesome for taking pride in them and just keeping going!